Friday, October 17, 2014

Mile High Horror Film Fest - Denver

Last weekend I attended the Mile High Horror Film Festival held at the Alamo Drafthouse Denver.  I met Jerry Pyle there and we screened both of our films- CALL GIRL & SERVICE!   The festival was amazing!  When we pulled up to the theater the parking lot was full.  We took this as a great sign!  Every movie we saw- the theater was nearly sold out.  Even when we were seeing the underdog film (multiple films showed a the same time) they were packed full.  This is the biggest fest I've been to besides Film4 FrightFest in London.

Jerry Pyle and me.
Mile High likes its short films!  They had 7 blocks of shorts- 6 horror and 1 scifi.  Each block played twice throughout the festival.  CALL GIRL and SERVICE played in block #5 with a slew of great films.  We were in the same block as THE MUCK, by Tony Walsh, a gnarly creature movie set in the 80s.  That was shot by Robert Patrick Stern, who I plan to work with on my next project!  There were some serious stars in these shorts.  One of my favorites starred Amanda Seyfried, DOG FOOD, and was super disturbing.  Another that stood out- THE BODY by Paul Davis starring Alfie Allen (Game of Thrones) was very clever, funny, and morbid.  I met Jeffrey Reddick, writer of FINAL DESTINATION (I'm a huge fan), who was there with his short GOOD SAMARITAN.

The film I was most anticipating seeing was EXISTS by Eduardo Sanchez, who also directed THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.  It's a found-footage film about Bigfoot and it fucking blew me away.  I loved it.  It was fucking scary!  I'm serious.  It's for REAL scary.  He did it again!  Eduardo and his producer Gregg Hale were both there.  It was awesome to meet them as they are a huge inspiration to me.

Eduardo will be here in Kansas City on October 29th for a double-feature screening of EXISTS and THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT at Screenland Armour.  DownRight Creepy is hosting a Q&A with him.  It will be a blast.  I'll be there.  Get your tickets while you still can!

Eduardo Sanchez and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment