Monday, February 25, 2013

Quick Reviews: Winter Horror

SPOILER ALERT!

There have been quite a few horror-ish films to come out in the last couple months and here is what I think about them.


Alexandra Daddario in 'Texas Chainsaw'
Texas Chainsaw 3D 
5/10
I am a huge fan of the TCM franchise, it is my favorite.  I would like to give this film another shot because I was not impressed.  The opening is great, when we get to see all of the footage from the original.  Then we see the outside of the house, which was dead-on and I appreciated that.  We go inside and it looks almost brand new, like someone forgot to dress the set?  The people don't fit in,  it doesn't look like 1974.  These kind of details kill me.  Beyond all my shit talking, I did like the new story/angle.  I just don't know if I can personally handle TCM being set in present day.


Mama:
5/10
The story had potential and there was some freaky imagery but I hate CG.  It's bad enough looking at the ghost, but they can't even go outside and shoot a scene ACTUALLY in the mountains?!  Is that asking too much?  This isn't Lord of the Rings.


Nicholas Hoult & Teresa Palmer in 'Warm Bodies'

Warm Bodies:
7/10
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that this movie is right up my alley, even more-so if I was 14 when it came out.  It's a star-crossed lovers story, with zombies.  I grew up loving Romeo and Juliet, thanks to Leonardo DiCaprio.  It is a very sweet movie that has the simple message: love and unity can heal the world.







Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters:
5/10
This was just your typical action movie, with horror elements.  It was entertaining but shallow.  The most memorable part was this big scene towards the end with tons of witches and their make up was INCREDIBLE.


Dark Skies:
7/10
This set up seems very familiar: the house in the suburbs, the family and then the kids turn creepy.  The difference being that it's aliens, not ghosts or the devil.  The first glance we get of the alien made me yell, "OH MY GOD", and shrink back in my chair.  The whole movie was pretty terrifying.  I think the trick to making monster/aliens/ghosts scary is only getting a tiny glimpse of them.  It's best to leave most up to the imagination.

Keri Russell & Josh Hamilton in 'Dark Skies'


No comments:

Post a Comment